And then there was…

…a good day!  Surprisingly, sleep would only stay with me for three hours last night.  This is not a good thing for a heart with DCM (dilated cardiomyopathy).  There are even theories that sleep apnea is a viable cause of DCM.  In spite of this fact gnawing at the back of my brain, I could not force myself back into sleep when I woke up at 3:30am.

I got up out of bed, thinking I would be able to have a nap this morning before driving into town to run a couple of errands.  That didn’t pan out either; no morning nap to make up for lost sleep.  What the heck?!  Giving up, I readied and steadied myself and hopped into the truck for the 40 minute drive to “town”.

The summer heat wasn’t a problem even though the truck windows were down and the elusive sleep monster must have stayed at home because my body and mind felt awake, and….stronger.

Dare I allow myself a sliver of hope?  Am I getting better?  Five weeks after the ICD implant, five months after the initial diagnosis, maybe…just maybe?!…I really am getting better!

The dry cleaner’s, the oil-change place, the electronic cigarette place, the bank, and a drive thru for a sandwich and diet soda to accompany me on the way home.  Walking was at a minimum, and manageable.  My mind ran an inventory of internal organs and external limbs and found no duress nor the typical exhaustion that would be expected.

Arrival at home, a few minutes of putting things away, and then to my chair for a well-deserved nap.  A nap that doesn’t come.

Why am I still so awake? My legs are starting to swell and breathing is getting a bit labored but no sleep yet.  My mind then begins to replay the events of the day.  Did caffeine sneak into play at some point when my eyes were looking the other way?  Did the body receive its medicine in a timely manner? Hmmm…I honestly had no idea, and it’s definitely perplexing.

It’s 10pm now and there has been no nap but plenty of resting on my laurels.  My ecigarette catches my attention and there is a sudden realization that the liquid I’ve been using for two days has twice as much nicotine as the 0mg-6mg liquid I typically use.  Maybe that’s it.  At this point it doesn’t matter.  I’d very much like to go to bed now but my son is still out with friends and I won’t rest well until I know he’s home safe.

So there it is.  I’m so exhausted at this moment that I’m miserable.  I’m hoping tomorrow morning will find me rested and ready to go, because I’m planning yet another trip to town.  Have to keep pushing the boundaries, you see, or I’ll never know the full extent of my capabilities.

Goodnight. May your sleep be peaceful and your dreams a soothing balm for your tired soul.


© Maria R. Conklin and Journey Of A Tired Heart, 2015-2016

2 thoughts on “And then there was…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s